Column sent to Frederick Leader and Frederick Press
October 13, 2009
City Directory Reflects 1964 Frederick
The Tillman County Historical Society maintains numerous city directories from throughout Frederick’s history as part of its permanent collection. The directories list city businesses, industries and residents, and can provide a wealth of historical information.
One of the historical society’s directories is from 1964, a time that many of us remember when Frederick was a larger and busier place.
Population of Frederick in 1964 was estimated at 6,300 people and growing.
Agriculture was the major economic force in 1964, but the city’s industrial park was also the site of four major industries which produced a weekly payroll of more than $35,000. City businesses had reported growth in sales for several years.
Frederick industries in 1964 were the following:
Brantley Helicopter, manufacturer of a two-seat helicopter that had worldwide sales.
Centra Leather Goods of Oklahoma, one of the three largest companies of its type in the U.S. The company annually used more than 3.25 million feet of leather, producing many items which included purses, wallets, and key cases.
Betsy Bra Company, the nation’s second largest manufacturers of brassieres.
Century Granite Company, the largest granite plant in Oklahoma and 10th largest in the U.S.
The Coake-Quam Feed Lots, located on Highway 5 east of Frederick was the largest custom-feed operation in Oklahoma with a capacity of 15,000 head. The feedlot cattle consumed more feed than was raised in Tillman County and the operation used ten times more water than the City of Frederick.
All city water was provided from wells of 50-foot depth.
Frederick business was thriving in 1964.
Downtown Frederick featured four department stores – C.R. Anthony at 100 W. Grand; Norwood’s, 107 W. Grand; J.C. Penney, 110 N. Main; and Perkins-Timberlake at 124 W. Grand.
Ladies could also buy clothing at the Gay Shop, 106 W. Grand; Marks, 208 W. Grand; The Blue Moon Dress Shop, 115 W. Grand; or the Orchid Shop, 216 W. Grand. Menswear could be purchased from Rex E. Curtis and Son, 125 W. Grand.
For cleaning clothes, Frederick had four dry cleaning establishments in 1964 and four laundries.
If one needed a haircut 45 years ago, there were eight barbershops and 15 beauty shops.
Downtown Frederick also included five drug stores in 1964 – Bumpas Drug, 128 W. Grand; The Corner Drug, 201 W. Grand; Crescent Drug, 113 W. Grand; Langston- McFall Drug, 305 W. Grand; and Seay’s Drug, 103 N. Main.
Frederick had 20 grocery stores in 1964, including Dobbs Grocery and Saveway Grocery on W. Grand; Faulconer’s Grocery, Hamilton Grocery-Moeller Market, and Southside Cash Market on Main; Frederick Food Store, Mitchell’s Food Mart, and Greenfield Foods on Gladstone. United Supermarket had recently moved into its current site on North Main from its previous location at 221 South Main.
The city featured 20 restaurants. They included Ballard’s Dairy Mart, 610 E. Gladstone; Burns Dairy Diner, 1001 S. Main; Courts Café, 217 S. Main; Curtis Café, 211 W. Grand; Dobson Drive-In Shellyburger, 427 S. Main; the Hamburger Inn, 121 S. 9th; Hattie’s Café, 700 S. Main; Mitchell’s Restaurant, 1118 S. Main; Sallie’s Café, 112 W. Floral; and the Wagon Wheel Drive-In, 1201 S. Main.
Six doctors served Frederick citizens in 1964. Doctors were Dr. Curtis Allen, Dr. Polk Fry, Dr. Jack Honaker, Dr. Joe Horton, Dr. Roger Johnson, and Dr. George Tallant. The doctors saw patients in two medical clinics – Frederick Clinic at 125 N. 9th and the Medical Surgical Clinic at 1405 N. 12th.
A new wing on the west side of Tillman County Memorial Hospital on E. Josephine had expanded hospital capacity to 65 patients.
Persons who needed medical transport to the hospital were served by ambulance services that were operated by local funeral homes – Dalton-McLellan Funeral Home at 401 N. 9th or Gish Funeral Home, 111 N. 11th.
Three dentists served Frederick – Dr. B.E. Clark, Dr. J.H. Holloman, and Dr. Jack Smith.
Eight attorneys practiced law in Frederick.
Other notable differences in 1964 Frederick? At least ten downtown businesses sold home appliances.
Automobiles could be purchased from any of six new car dealerships. In addition to the dealerships, seven businesses sold auto parts. The 1964 directory listed 12 auto service stations and numerous independent mechanics.
There were six farm implement dealers.
For building or remodeling, the 1964 city directory listed 11 contractors and five painters.
Lodging establishments included the Copa Motel, 1003 S. Main; the Westward Ho Motel, 1117 S. Main; the Down Town Motel, 211 S. Main; and the Hereford Hotel, 127 S. 9th.
Telephone service was provided by Southwestern States Telephone Company. All telephone numbers were five-digit, preceded by “ED” for “Edison”.
Twenty-three churches were located in Frederick in 1964.