Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Car Ownership in 1920s

1922 Maxwell         (Source: Wikipedia Commons)
  
Automobile Ownership Came with
Responsibilities in the 1920s

     In the early 1920s, automobiles had been around for the common man for more than a decade and were still growing in popularity.

     In 1922, the Frederick Chamber of Commerce executive was in charge of collecting vehicle taxes, and in a Frederick Free Press article from January 1922, he put a positive spin on the taxes.

From The Frederick Free Press, January 12, 1922

ARE PAYING MOTOR TAX CHEERFULLY 

“The automobile license is being paid promptly and with smiling faces,” says E.J. McBride, secretary of the Frederick Chamber of Commerce, who is again collecting this tax from car owners in this county this year. Up to Wednesday morning over 200 owners of cars, tractors and trucks have already paid their license for 1922 to Mr. McBride. Those who do not pay by the last of January are subject to a $25 fine for each car, truck or tractor.
Mr. McBride attributes that the license is being paid so cheerfully to the fact that nearly all of the money collected is spent on the state highways in the county. Our commissioners have expended the money wisely on Tillman county state roads until we are generally recognized by those acquainted with the situation, to have the best dirt roads in Oklahoma. Over $30,000 was collected in motor license last year and it will run about the same this year.
The license runs all the way from $10 up on a car. Trucks are taxed according to the ton capacity. The tractor tax is very reasonable, fifty cents a horsepower the first year and ten cents less a horsepower each year thereafter until a minimum of twenty cents the fourth year. This makes a Fordson cost $5 the first year and $2 the fourth year. This is lower than the ad valorum, or regular taxes assessed by the assessor on a tractor.
Last year Mr. McBride kept a record of the engine number and other data on every car on which he collected the tax, and this is helping greatly in facilitating the work in his office the present year.
Printed notices are furnished the auto owner when the license is applied for, and these are placed on the wind shield. A few 1922 tags have already arrived, however.
The only ones who have any kick coming are those who bought cars at the peak prices, who are compelled to pay a tax according to the value of the car when it was originally purchased. The third year that a car is registered there is a 20 percent discount.

If fact, not everyone in the county was as eager to pay the taxes as McBride had indicated.

From The Frederick Free Press, June 1, 1922

Nearly 3,000 Cars in County
 
If automobile licenses are not paid better in other parts of the county than in and near Frederick, there are about 800 automobile owners who have not yet taken out their 1922 license. Last year there were about 2,900 cars, the licenses on 1,700 of which were paid through the Chamber of Commerce in Frederick, and the balance through banks in all of the other towns.
This year there are about as many cars, and so far licenses have been taken out on 1,200 in Frederick. They now pay through the office of E.L. Guyer, county superintendent of highways. A list is kept of each car owner, the name of the car, age of car, number of engine and number of license tag. The latter is placed on the cashier’s check when it is sent from the highway commissioner to the local bank. In this way the number of the license tag on any car in the county can be readily found, either by inquiring at the bank where a record of the check is kept or at Mr. Guyer’s office.
An unusual number have been taking out licenses the past few days, says Miss Culver, deputy collector.
 

      Maintaining a car in the 1920s was a very different process than today. The following article from June 1921 offered county motorists advice about preparing their car for summer.


From The Frederick Free Press, June 2, 1921

Get Car Into Shape For Summer Driving

Many Motorists Inclined to Overlook Cooling System
Nothing More Vital to Efficient Operation and Performance of Car ­–
Thorough Cleaning Increases Efficiency
 
While friend wife is enjoying her annual housecleaning bee and mislaying the furniture, friend husband has a few jobs that he might as well get busy at. According to the calendar the warm days are in the offing and will soon be beckoning to the open road. It is the advice of experienced automobile service men that now is the time to give the car a thorough inspection and take the necessary measures to put it in first-class shape for the summer use.
When it comes to overhauling a car or tuning it up many motorists are inclined to overlook the cooling system. This is a mistake, for there is nothing more vital to efficient operation and performance. At this time of year every car owner should give the cooling system, including the radiator, water jackets, hose and pump, a thorough cleaning.
The best way to do this is to drain the water out of the car, then fill up the radiator with a weak solution of soda and water. Having done this, let the engine run for ten minutes or so. Then drain off this liquid and replace it with pure water. Again let the engine run for a few minutes and again drain the car. You will then be ready to fill your radiator for regular use.
This advantageous because it cleans out the radiator, water jackets, hose and pump thoroughly, freeing them from deposits, especially those left by anti-freezing mixtures used during the winter, which, if allowed to remain in the car, would probably rot the hose and do other damage. Taking this simple precaution not only extends the life of the car, but prevents future trouble and increases efficiency.




Sunday, April 22, 2012

Masonic Dedication


Tillman County Historical Society
Annual Meeting
April 22, 2012
Members of the Masonic Grand Lodge of Oklahoma (at right) dedicated cornerstones at the Tillman County Historical Society's annual meeting.
 Stones Dedicated in Masonic Ceremony
Officials of the Oklahoma Grand Masonic Lodge came to Frederick on Sunday afternoon, April 22, to dedicate old and new cornerstones at the Tillman County Historical Society’s Pioneer Townsite Museum.
Grand Master Randall Rogers of McAlister led the ceremony which is largely unchanged from the 1922 Masonic dedication of the cornerstone at the old Frederick High School (Central Elementary). Two new stones were dedicated at the April 22 ceremony – a Masonic stone and a stone to represent the Pioneer Townsite. All three stones will be displayed in a permanent monument that will be erected in coming months at the museum.
The April 22, 2012, dedication was set exactly 33 years after dedication of the Tillman County Historical Society’s initial project – restoration of the 1902 Horse Creek School. On April 22, 1979, approximately 700 people gathered on a Sunday afternoon to dedicate the schoolhouse. The one-room Horse Creek School still stands as an anchor of the museum complex.
Masonic Grand Master Randy Rogers reaches for the winning ticket.
Raffle of Caboose Reproduction
Following dedication of the stones, a drawing was held to determine winner of the historical society’s Frisco caboose reproduction.
     Grand Master Randy Rogers did the honors of drawing the ticket. Winner was Cade Varner, the grandson of Lori and Keith Varner of Frederick.

Friday, April 20, 2012

1922 FHS Cornerstone

Early photo of the 1922 Frederick High School.

1922 Corner Stone Rededicated

     Masons from Oklahoma's Grand Lodge will rededicate the original cornerstone from the recently razed 1922 Frederick High School (later Central Grade School) in ceremonies at the Pioneer Townsite Museum on Sunday afternoon, April 22, 2012. The ceremony will begin at 2:00 p.m. and will be part of the Tillman County Historical Society's 2012 annual meeting.
Preserved cornerstone from 1922 school

     The public is invited to attend.

     The cornerstone will be on permanent display at the museum and will eventually be part of a monument that will be constructed using brick from the 1922 school.

     The school stood for almost 90 years at South 12th and Dahlia in Frederick.

     Masons first dedicated the cornerstone when the building was under construction in a ceremony that was held on Tuesday afternoon, June 13, 1922.


     Articles about the original dedication from The Frederick Free Press follow:



From The Frederick Free Press, June 8, 1922
CORNERSTONE IS TO BE LAID TUESDAY
Past Grand Master Joe W. Morris, of Snyder, will act as master of ceremonies in the laying of the $150.00 corner stone for the high school auditorium and gymnasium, which will take place at 2 o’clock Tuesday afternoon (June 13, 1922) at the new high school building, in charge of Frederick lodge No. 249, A.F. & A.M. The Masons will meet at the lodge room at 2 o’clock and march to the high school building in a body.
Stone as it sat at northwest corner of the school.
A.M. Dennis, master of the lodge, has named the following officers for the event.
J.H. Zumwalt, grand marshal; L.C. Harris, grand tyler; R.H. Sims, grand persuivant; E.A. Hall, grand steward; R. N. Dennis, junior steward.
F.W. Hurst, grand lecturer; S.J. Mathies, grand orator; Rev. G.A. Caatfield, grand chaplain; R.F. Steward, brand bible bearer; Dr. J.A. Gillis, grand secretary; H.V. Worthington, grand treasurer; J.B. Wilson, grand senior warden; W.G. Roe, junior warden; Geo. McLellan, grand deputy master; J.W. Morris, grand master; A.M. Dennis, grand senior deacon; I. Ferguson, grand junior deacon; R.J. Harris, grand architect.

From The Frederick Free Press, June 15, 1922
CORNER STONE FOR THE NEW HIGH SCHOOL LAID TUESDAY
With a large crowd present at the new high school building and auditorium site on Twelfth Street the Frederick Masons laid the cornerstone for the structure Tuesday afternoon shortly after 2 o’clock. The Masons met at their hall and marched to the building headed by the Frederick Commercial Band. After a few numbers by the band the service was held. The ceremonies consisted of addresses, prayers and an ode, after which under the direction of acting Grand Master J.W. Morris the spread on the stone.
Splendid prospects for a bumper plenty, peace and gladness were corn, oil and wine, symbols of peace and gladness, were spread on the stone.
In a brief speech by Rev. Robert Hogson, pastor of the First Presbyterian church at Altus, he told of the work and origin of the Masons, of what they had done and were doing for the civilization.
 Mr. Morris was assisted in the laying of the stone by the officers of the Frederick Lodge No. 249.
The ceremonies were most impressive and a great many of the citizens were present for the occasion. Most of the downtown stores closed from 2:30 to 3:30.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Manitou 1926


from   Who’s Who in Tillman County
(circa 1926)
“The People and Enterprises Who Have Made Tillman County”
Published by The Frederick Leader, Frederick, Okla.

Manitou
Manitou, nine miles north of Frederick, the county seat, boasts a population of 500, and is one of Oklahoma’s progressive little cities, having a number of enterprises that distinguish it from other towns of equal size.
Manitou was platted about the year 1904, opened in a very humble way, and has grown to its present size, there being at the present time 26 business houses, three of which are cotton gins and one grain elevator.
Manitou has graveled streets, a municipal water system, two fine churches, Baptist, A.F. Whitlock, pastor; and Methodist, pastured by C.C. Wilson. Manitou has an accredited school with a corps of seven teachers.
The fraternal organizations consist of Modern Woodmen, Woodmen of the World and Royal Neighbors.
The city officers are: T.F. Hill, mayor; Charles Hendrick, clerk; Geo. Wyatt, treasurer; councilmen, E.H. Loutherback and C.W. Blakeslee.
Manitou is a prominent shipping center, and is located on State Highway No. 14 and the Frisco Railroad. The articles shipped consist of cotton, wheat and produce of all kinds, in fact, there are upwards of 165 carloads shipped out annually.
While there is a great quantity of wheat raised near Manitou, cotton is easily the chief agricultural product, last year more than 3000 bales of the staple being ginned at this point.
The progressive people of Manitou, realizing that all work and no play toes into the making of a dull citizenship, have built one of the prettiest little parks in this section of Oklahoma. It actually covers more than ten acres and has a swimming pool that would be a credit to any town many times its size.
The altitude of Manitou is practically 1300 feet, which affords the townspeople a cool breeze whenever any breeze whatsoever is stirring.
Taking it all in all, Manitou is a fine, progressive little city, and its citizens are ever aware of constructive propositions that will make it still better.

Who’s Who in the Manitou Community
Arnall, F.L. – Farmer and auctioneer; born Warren county, Missouri, June, 1859; educated Warren county, Missouri, public schools; married Miss Stella Johnson, June 2, 1893, and Mrs. Martha A. Boersman March 26, 1921; deputy sheriff Missour 12 years; Baptist church; M.W.A.; five children, Guy, Alma, Cave, Vannie and Marjorie; conducted first farm sale in Tillman county.
Arnold, Waldo – Farmer; born Scotland county, Missouri, November 23, 1877; common school education; married Miss Ruby Wayman January 25, 1906; Baptist church; M.W.A.; five children, Anna Mae, Sidney, Earl, Irene and Elmo; to Tillman county 1901; face claim 6 miles southeast of Manitou.
Ball, O.C. – Member county commissioners; born Milton county, Georgia, August 5, 1873; educated Alpharetta, Georgia, public schools; married Miss Cinia Jones January 12, 1896, three 2-year terms as county commissioner; serving the fourth term, a 6-year term; Methodist church; chairman of board of stewards; W.O.W.; three children, Jewel, Elsie, and O.C.; in Tillman county since 1905.
Barnes, M.W. – Coal dealer; Barnes Coal Co.; born Mexico, Missouri, July 12, 1864; educated Hepler school and Mexico, Missouri, public schools; married Mrs. Elma Christian March, 1904; justice of peace 15 years in Manitou; chairman of Chamber of Commerce 1917 to 1920; Christian church; M.W.A.; I.O.O.F.; two children, Ruth M. and Guthrie M.; in Tillman county since 1901.
Blakeslee, C.W. – Owner and manager Blakeslee’s poultry; born Sturges, Michigan, December 8, 1867; educated Stafford county public schools; married Miss Grace Kemp November 13, 1890; Chamber of Commerce; Methodist church; Mason; Yeoman; M.W.A.; three children, Opal, Helen and Laurence; to Oklahoma 1889; resident of Tillman county 10 years; formerly agent Frisco railroad.
Biggs, Mrs. F.A. – Housekeeper; born Clark county, Missouri, February 13, 1876; educated Clark county public schools; married F.A. Biggs November 13, 1895; Royals Neighbors; three children, Lena Mae, Anna Beatrice and George Alfred; in Tillman county since February 1902; came to county in covered wagon.
Cardwell, Col. J.A. – Farmer and auctioneer; born Johnson county, Iowa, September 27, 1870; educated Republic county, Kansas; married Miss Laura Grant September 14, 1888; I.O.O.F.; delegate to grand lodge; three children, Pearl Olive, Eula and W.J. Bryan; in Tillman county since 1901; sold first goods ever sold at Frederick at public auction; hauled lumber from Vernon, Texas, to build house in early days; bought first load of lumber ever sold from Frederick.
Comp, Dr. G.A. – Physician and surgeon; born Morgan county, Missouri, August 10, 1875; educated Edmond high school and P.&S. College at St. Louis, Missouri; M.D. degree; married Miss E. Anna Biggs September 2, 1903; member school board 9 years; Methodist church; I.O.O.F.; two children, Laverne A. and Averyl; in Tillman county since 1906.
Cooper, Mrs. Alice – Farmer; born Sumner county, Tennessee, July 10, 1860; educated Tennessee; first husband Henry Bradley (deceased) July 4, 1878; present husband M.W. Cooper, married September 26, 1908; Baptist church,; eight children, Sophie, Ollie, Daniel, Bertha, Tom, Mamie, Jim and Pearl; to Tillman county October 7, 1906.
Daniels, W.C. – Bookkeeper William Cameron & Co., Inc.; born Johnson county, Texas, August 29, 1895; educated Cleburne, Texas; married Miss Irene Powell October 28, 1916; Methodist church; Mason; two children, Cicero and Willard; in Tillman county 10 years; with Cameron Lumber company 6 years.
Dressler, Don – Barber and farmer; City Barber shop; born Brule, Nebraska, February 25, 1903; educated Manitou public schools; married Miss Hallie Bogle December 7, 1925; Church of Christ; in Tillman county all of life.
Dunn, W.B. – Farmer; born Murray county, Tennessee, March 28, 1886; educated Murray county, Tennessee; married Miss Janie McNabb August 30, 1003; Cotton Growers’ association; Baptist church; five children, Rosa, Jim, Oda, Grover and Irene; in Tillman county since 1916.
Durham, S.A. – Owner and manager Durham Shoe Shop; born New Columbus, Kentucky, October 26, 1857; educated New Columbus; married Miss Adeline Hughes, 1893; Baptist church; Odd Fellows; two children, J.D. and L.E.; in Manitou since 1909; deacon Baptist church; superintendent of Sunday school 10 years.
Eddleman, J.J. – Farmer; born Gailesburg, Knox county, Illinois, 1870; educated common schools; married Miss Elizabeth Flemming 1892; Methodist church; two children, Fred R. and J.W.; to Tillman county 1907; helped bring in Hunter township in Tillman county; owns 320 acres of land.
Elliott, W.H. – Farmer; born Greenwood county, Kansas, November 1, 1872; educated Newton county, Missouri; township trustee; assessor in Hunter township 6 years; elected county treasurer in Swanson county; Baptist church; M.W.A.; Odd Fellows; to Tillman county February 6, 1902; to Oklahoma 1889.
Foley, F.B. – Owner F.B. Foley Grocery; born Whitley county, Kentucky, October 21, 1874; educated Crawford county, Arkansas; married Miss Cora Melton March 31, 1897; Nazarene church; seven children, Eula, Lee, Irene, Claud, Grace, Paul and Van Weldon; in Tillman county 22 years.
Godfrey, H.P. – Wheat farmer; born Cherokee county, Alabama, March 28, 1875; common school education; married Miss Mary S. Fleming November 7, 1897; Methodist church; seven children, Oma, Elsie, Anni, Jessie, Hubert, Joe and Fay; to Tillman county August 14, 1905; owns two quarter sections of land.
Golay, O.E. – Owner and manager C.E. Golay Filling Station; born Mattison, Indiana, May 29, 1881; married Miss Florence Gibbs January 1, 1904; Church of Christ; two children, Ruth and Floyd; in Tillman county since 1903; lived on same farm for the past 18 years.
Goodwin, Harrison – Farmer; born Rayville, Missouri, April 4, 1881; educated Rayville, Rockyford, Missouri; married Miss Dora Hoover February 24, 1907; Oklahoma Cotton Growers’ association; Missionary Baptist; seven children, Harley, Stella, Clara, Mabel, Pearl, Cecil and Ethel; to Tillman county 1901.
Grooms, H.C. – Farmer; born Tillman county, Oklahoma, February 22, 1907; educated Hill Top; Cotton Growers’ association; Holiness church; lived on farm all of life.
Guest, Howard – Clerk Guest’s drug store; born Snyder, Oklahoma, March 25, 1909; educated Manitou, Oklahoma City and El Reno; Baptist church; in Manitou since October, 1925.
Guest, R.D. – Owner Guest drug store; born Boswell, Oklahoma, February 9, 1876; educated southern Kansas public schools; University of Oklahoma 1906 to 1907; married Miss Marimba Skinner January 27, 1898, first wife; Miss Jessie Livings, second wife; Christian church; Mason; three children, Ralph D. Jr., Lila Mae Williams and Roward; pioneer of Oklahoma; resident of Tillman county since opening; owned first general store in Davidson.
Hanes, C.C. – Owner seed farm; born Seagoville, Dallas county, Texas, March 6, 1882; educated public schools of Texas; Academy, Forney, Texas; Commercial Business College, Dallas, Texas; married Miss Susie Ayres May 17, 1903; served number of years on school board; Cotton Growers’ association; Church of Christ; W.O.W.; seven children, Dean, Carol, Opal, Reba, Thermon, Evelyn and C.C. Jr.; to Tillman county 1914; lived near Randlett 7 years; organized Farmers Gin company, 1925; owner half section of land.
Harmon, Ray – Meat cutter Brannon meat market; phone 42B; born Montague county, Texas, July 24, 1905; educated Manitou high school; attends Methodist church; in Tillman county 14 years; worked on farm 12 years.
Harper, S.E. – Farmer; born Mercer county, Missouri, March 14, 1873; educated Franklin county, Kansas, public schools; married Miss Jennie Smith March 14, 1894; Baptist church; M.W.A.; two children, Myrtle Jones and Nellie Osborn; in Tillman county since February, 1902; telephone exchange 17 years; threshing machine business 10 years; ginner 10 years.
Heerwald, W.F. – Manager William Cameron & Co., Inc.; born Lafayette county, Missouri, April 19, 1886; common school education and business college; married Miss Elizabeth Neher November 19, 1911; Baptist church; four children, Ibed, William, Almeda and Elmo; to Tillman county 1919 from Altus; with lumber company since 1910.
Herald, L.L. – Agent Frisco railroad; born Saline county, Missouri, April 10, 1874; educated St. Louis, Missouri; Southwestern State Business College; married Miss Mary Hunt December 21, 1899; Presbyterian church; Knights of Pythias; M.W.A.; Scottish Rite Mason; six children, Maurine, Nell, Robert, Patsy, Virginia and Mary Lynn; in Manitou 21 years; agent at Vernon, Texas, 12 years.
Hill, T.F. – Owner City Barber shop; born Grayson county, Texas, May 25, 1892; to 10th grade education; married Miss Annie Melton September 10, 1910; mayor of Manitou since 1916; W.O.W.; five children, Virgie, Gladys, Loy, Jewell and Eldene; to Tillman county 1908.
Hinkle, J.E. – Owner Hinkle meat market; born Spring, Ohio, April 8, 1876; educated Clark county, Ohio, public schools; married Miss Emma Leonard February 14, 1901; member Chamber of Commerce; Methodist church; W.O.W.; one child, Elizabeth; in Tillman county 22 years; meat market business 21 years; one of oldest merchants in the town.
Hoover, B.C. – Farmer; born Grant City, Missouri, January 22, 1875; common school education; married Miss Edna Elliott August 29, 1905; clerk Consolidated school No. 1; Methodist church; three children, Alvin, Avis and Maxine; to Tillman county 1901; owns one of the best farms in county.
Hoover, E.L. – Farmer; born Ringgold county, Iowa, December 25, 1882; common school education; married Miss Mary R. Oxford March 27, 1908; Methodist church; M.W.A.; three children, Clarence L., Dorothy and Earnest Junior; to Tillman county 1902.
Hoover, W.M. – Farmer; born Ohio, September 25, 1850; educated Iowa; married Miss Francs Polly March 16, 1871; Baptist church; eight children, Mary, Bert, Nellie, James, Dora, Earnest, Della and Willie; to Tillman county 1901; owns farm.
Hopper, Richard – Farmer; born Chautauqua, Kansas, March 5, 1875; educated Chautauqua, Kansas; married Miss Clara West September, 1898, postmaster of Siboney 2 years; Methodist church; I.O.O.F.; Mason; M.W.A.; seven children, Mrs. Irma Blakeslee, Mrs. Cleo Russell, Reba, Lucile, Helen, Richard and West; in Tillman county since 1902.
Hogue, R.L. – Owner Twin Lakes of Manitou; recreation park; born Lampasas county, April 28, 1878; educated University of Oklahoma; married Miss Rosa Loving April 19, 1900; deputy sheriff; Church of God; I.O.O.F.; W.O.W.; six children, Winnie Smith, Cordie Perrell, Elzy Adams, Alpha Omega, Olis and Leslie; Oklahoma since 1892; sawed lumber to build own houses in early days.
Jarrell, E. – Owner and manager Jarrell General Mercantile; phone 32; born Ceredo, West Virginia, March 6, 1860; educated Irondon, Oklahoma; married Miss Hester Wallace March 3, 1884; postmaster at Deep Red; Odd Fellows; three children, Wayman, Mary Wilbern and Wallace; Methodist church; one of the first settlers in Tillman county; did first plaster work in Frederick and walked 12 miles to work.
Jones, M.C. – Engineer Chickasha Gin; phone 11; born Wichita, Kansas, August 1, 1903; educated Manhattan high school; graduated 1921; married Miss Myrtle Harper October 24, 1924; Christian church; in Tillman county 5 years.
Jones, Mrs. M.C. – Operator Bell Telephone Co.; phone 11R; born Manitou, Oklahoma, February 25, 1905; educated Manitou high school; married M.C. Jones October 24, 1924; Baptist church; lived in Manitou 21 years.
Kersey, M.D. – Farmer; born Goliad county, Texas, March 28, 1856; educated Coryell county, Texas, public schools; married Miss Leona City Cox July 5, 1881; Cotton Growers’ association; Baptist church; seven children, Joseph M. Maggie V., Andrew W., Thomas, Castoria Rosie, Lee Alvin, Acie and Lornice; in Tillman County since 1901.
Kurz, E. – Farmer; born Sealazy, Germany, March 5, 1856; educated Germany; married Miss Anna Daierdolf April 14, 1890; Lutheran Evangelic church; three children, Freda, Fred and Rughanheart; to U.S.A. 1882; To Tillman 1902.
Kurz, Fred E. – Farmer; born Berlin, Germany, October 24, 1892; educated Pleasant Ridge; Lutheran church; I.O.O.F.; in Tillman county since 1902; to America from Germany at age of 8 months.
Little, R.H. – Farmer; born Marshall county, Tennessee, June 3, 1874, educated Cooke county, Texas; married Miss Mary Autry; township treasurer; Baptist church; four children, Bert, Gertrude, John and Dewey; from Tennessee 1880 to Cooke county, Texas; Tillman county 1906; near Snyder 3 years; bought place 1906.
Lowery, L.A. – Farmer; born Franklin county, Missouri, July 17, 1876; common school education; married Miss Cora M. Ripley April 25, 1905; Methodist church; W.O.W.; seven children, Letha, Mae, Amy, Marie, Samuel, Nettie and Evelyn; to Tillman county 1901; owns three quarter sections of land.
McCord, Lee – Farmer; born Knox county, Illinois, October 10, 1868; educated Knox county, Illinois, public schools; married Miss Mary E. Hogey February 12, 1891; M.W.A.; six children, Cora L., Lottie, Hobart, Glenn, Henry and Francis (deceased); to Tillman county September 8, 1903.
Nance, A.C. – Manager Bell Telephone Exchange; born Magnolia, Arkansas, July 7, 1888; educated Commerce, Texas; East Texas Normal College; married Miss Maud White October 1, 1911; Chamber of Commerce; Mason; I.O.O.F.; M.W.A.; three children, Fred, Clarence and Doyle; in Tillman county 3 years; wholesale oil and gas business; deputy U.S. marshal in early days; to Oklahoma 1899.
Nance, Mrs. Maud – Bell telephone operator; born Hamilton county, Texas; December 8, 1888; educated Hollis, Oklahoma, high school; married A.C. Nance October 1, 1911; Methodist church; three children, Fred, Clarence and Doyle; to Oklahoma 1907.
Ozment, A.E. – Road grade; born Cooke county, Texas, January 9, 1881; educated Cooke county public schools; married Miss Mossie Melson August 25, 1905; Methodist church; A.I.U.; two children, Doshie and Opal; in Tillman county since 1901; deputy county weigher 10 years.
Pierce, N.G. (Bud) – Farmer; born Comanche county, Texas, August 6, 1886; common school education; married Miss Vivian E. Walton December 28, 1914; Baptist church; five children, Charlene, Delma, Imogene, Levada and Earl Delton; to Tillman county 1915; owner 160 acres land; cattle business.
Pinson, J.S. – Farmer; born Roberson county, Tennessee, March 8, 1867; common school education; married Miss Addie Calhoun 1920; Baptist church; W.O.W.; Mason; five children, Eula Lee, Bertha E., Elsie A., Alta A. and Doyle; to Tillman county 1905.
Pipes, J.N. – Farmer; phone 3009; born Marion county, Kentucky, August 11, 1862; educated Washington county, Kentucky; Mason; to Tillman county 1901.
Reeves, George W. – Farmer; phone 35, line 6; born Shelby county, Texas, August 22, 1869; educated Trinity University Waxahachie, Texas; married Miss Mattie George February, 1896; Christian church; three children, Houston, Jennivee and Allen; to Tillman county in 1892; homesteaded here and hauled lumber from Vernon, Texas, to build house.
Roark, F.E. – Farmer; born Ottawa county, Oklahoma, March 17, 1892; educated in Tillman county; married Miss Josie Witt October, 1913; Cotton Growers’ association; Baptist church; to Tillman county 1901.
Roark, G.A. – Farmer; born McDonald county, Missouri, December 30, 1876; educated Missouri; married Miss Maggie S. Davis February 18, 1905; Cotton growers’ association; Baptist church; to Tillman county in December 27, 1905, from Tulsa, Oklahoma; lived on own place 10 years.
Roark, J. – Farmer; born Hollister, Oklahoma, April 15, 1909; educated Farmingdale; married Miss Nola Adams July 11, 1925; Baptist church; one child, Lamoin; lived in Tillman county all of life.
Roark, J.W. – Director Farmers’ Gin; born Clinton, Missouri, April 23, 1868; educated McDonald county public schools; married Miss Nannie Frances February 14, 1899; township board; Baptist church; three children, Nettie Jenkins, Floyd and Vesta Hinds; to Tillman county February, 1902; hauled food from Vernon, Texas, Hobart and Lawton in early days.
Roark, M.J. – Farmer; born Ottawa county, Oklahoma, February 12, 1897; educated in Tillman county; married Miss Ethel Kemp September 22, 1923; Cotton Growers’ association; Baptist church; one child, Louise; Tillman county since 1907.
Roark, S.G. – Farmer; born McDonald county, Missouri, December 27, 1871; educated McDonald county; married Miss Ollie Burgin December 27, 1893; Cotton Growers’ association; Baptist church; four children, Jeff, Earnest, J. and Leo; to Tillman county January 11, 1907.
Roark, T.J. – Retired farmer; born Barren county, Kentucky, August 20, 1839; educated Cole county, Missouri; married Miss Mary Robertson March 4, 1864; Baptist church; six children, J.W., Stevens, Charles, George A., Mary Jane and Della; lived in Cole county 35 years; to Tillman county 1908; served in Civil War.
Simpson, A.C. – Snyder, route 3; farmer; born McLennan county, Texas, October 12, 1887; educated Patent, Texas; married Miss Clara Howard December 22, 1909; Methodist church; eight children, Willard, Rayford, Ravere, Alice, Ruth, Curtis, Jack and J.E.; in Tillman county since 1908.
Stellman, Eddie – Sheep raiser; phone 551 on 2; born Dallas, Texas, November 11, 1897; educated Manitou high school; Baptist church; W.O.W.; in Tillman county 23 years; owns sheep ranch with 700 sheep.
Stow, E.K. – Rural mail carrier; born Case, Oklahoma, September 17, 1893; educated Norman high school; married Miss Jennie Irene Waldrop July 8, 1917; American Legion; Baptist church; one child, Philma; taught school 7 years; served in World War from February 1918, to April 16, 1919; overseas 10 months; on firing line 82 days.
Swartz, G.C. – Farmer; born Wyoming county, Pennsylvania, July 13, 1886; educated in Pennsylvania; married Miss Kate Bynum December 15, 1906; Baptist church; two children, Helen and Faye; to Tillman county 1900.
Tower, L.W. – Clerk C.E. Golay Filling Station; born Cleburne, Texas, February 11, 1904; educated Frederick high school; Methodist church; in Tillman county 20 years; lived with father on farm most of life.
Tuck, H. – Manager and owner Thacker Grocery; phone 3000 and R51; born Grayson county, Texas, April 5, 1883; educated Collinsville, Texas, public schools; married Miss Nellie Roark September 19, 1909; member Frederick Chamber of Commerce; Baptist church; Mason; I.O.O.F.; M.W.A.; two children, Samuel and Odetta; to Tillman county 1901 and lived in dugout at first; hauled lumber from Vernon, Texas, to build house.
Ulrich, J.C. – Owner Rock Service Station; phone 54; Born Neosho, Missouri, December 12, 1870; educated Wise county, Texas, public schools; married Miss Alcine Short December 27, 1891; Baptist church; A.I.U.; six children, William H., Isaac F., Sarah, Lucile, Viola and Pearl; in Tillman county 8 years; in Lincoln county 13 years; ginning business 5 years.
Warrick, R.F. – Farmer; born Wright county, Minnesota, October 19, 1879; educated Wright county, Minnesota; married Miss Dora B. Hill October 24, 1900; Christian church; two children, Effie Lorina and Robert Lee Roy; to Tillman county 1903.
Welborn, D.B. – Farmer; born Grayson county, Virginia, February 9, 1872; common school education; married Miss Dixie Lawson November 27, 1891; Methodist church; four children, Arnold, George, Bonnie and Jess; to Tillman county 1902; settled 11 miles northeast Frederick; two settlers around when moved here.
Williams, J.T. – Farmer; born Madison county, Tennessee, March 26, 1866; educated Madison county, Tennessee; married Miss Lorina Reeves December 27, 1892; Baptist church; four children, Etta, Newman, Joe and Faye; from Tennessee to Oklahoma when young man; to Tillman county 1906.
Wilson, J.J. – Farmer; born Wise county, Texas, December 23, 1860; educated Wise county, Texas; married Miss Etta Cane January 6, 1882; Baptist church; four children, Pearl, Mossie, Jim and Hubert; came here 1901; made run into Oklahoma 1889; cowboy in Texas.
Wells, F.H. – Farmer; phone 52 on 10; born Wadesboro, Kentucky, December 23, 1889; educated Calloway County, Kentucky; married Miss Virginia Flemming March 7, 1915; Methodist church; W.O.W.; four children, Billie Saxon, Lois Jean, Calvin Clyde and Don Lynn; mail carrier 8 years; in Tillman county since 1906.
Williams, Lura – Postmaster; born Temple Hill, Kentucky, November 22, 1874; high school education; married G.B. Williams December 8, 1893; Baptist church; eight children, L.H., Helen, H.G., J.C., Paul B., Hugh, Mary E. and Ferris W.; to Tillman county August 1905; appointed postmaster 1916.


Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Weaver School, 1962

Weaver's fifth and sixth grade classes. Pictured standing in back were teacher Norma Hutcheson, SWRE manager J.M. Maddox, and Weaver Supt. M.E. Friels.
All photos from the files of Southwest Rural Electric Cooperative

 Click on photos to see in clearer resolution.
Weaver School Profiled by SWRE in 1962

     In its November 1962 newsletter, Southwest Rural Electric Cooperative did an extensive profile of Weaver School.
     Weaver, located six miles west and one mile south of Frederick, had gone "all-electric" and was served by SWRE.
     I was in the fourth grade at Weaver in 1962-63, and I clearly remember the new electric heaters that had been installed in each classroom during the previous summer. Getting modern electric heat was a big deal!
     I also vaguely remember the day in October 1962 when some folks from the electric cooperative came to take pictures and do interviews. Those were simpler times, with few distractions for country school kids.
     Weaver was a great school, with great traditions. It was built as a consolidated school (Cons. #13) in 1930, with the first graduating class in 1931.
     For more than 50 years Weaver served students who lived on farms west of Frederick. In many families (including mine), several generations attended school at Weaver.
     The high school's final graduating class was in 1968 (the end of my 9th grade year). The high school was done in by tightened state requirements for student enrollment numbers.
     Weaver's elementary grades (1-8) remained in place until the late 1980s
     Today, the wonderful old Weaver building has a second life as the Oklahoma Department of Corrections' Frederick Work Release Center.
     SWRE's article from the November 1962 newsletter follows:



From Southwest Rural Electric News, November 1962
The Miracle of Electricity Comes to Weaver School
Weaver, a consolidated school in southwest Tillman County, has taken a great step forward recently in that they “have come up to progress.” A progress which means it is a leader in progressiveness of southwest Oklahoma and perhaps in this entire area.
Northeast corner of the Weaver gymnasium

Weaver is an ALL-ELECTRIC School, which means heating, cooling, and all the electrical equipment to make the school as modern and efficient as the school of tomorrow.
This spacious and certainly well equipped plant of learning is a far cry from the little red school house that once graced the prairie, and readin’, writin’ and ‘rithmetic are now such a pleasure with all-electric facilities that many child wants to attend school. They are eager to get to school and try their hand out on that beautiful new equipment that seems almost magic.
Each Room Heated Electrically
All inside classrooms are equipped with three heating units and the outside rooms have four. These are controlled by individual thermostats so that at all times the atmosphere is pleasant. Electricity cools the clean air in warm weather as well.
Billy Hunt talks with J.M. Maddox in the typing room.
Before installing the electric system, the school was equipped with a Stoker steam heat system. It was dirty, maintained an uneven heat and certainly caused smoke-stained walls and windows besides the unpleasant fumes from the coal burner. A janitor was required to start the boiler at 4 a.m. in order to have the school warm enough for nine o’clock classes. The coal had to be shipped to Frederick and then hauled to Weaver. Superintendent Meridith Friels says that the savings in man hours and the special electric heating rate which Southwest Rural Electric offers, makes the cost about the same.
Weaver's seventh and eight grades
Electrically Equipped Shop
A trip to the school’s shop was a revelation in real progress and what power tools can do for this department. Billy Cox, who holds a B.S. from Southwestern and had a Math Fellowship at O.B.U. last summer, is the shop and math teacher at Weaver.
The shop, in its own separate building, has all the appearance of a small factory. The boys are busily engaged in creating their own designs in end tables, what-not-shelves, lamps, bookcases, cedar chests, etc.
Math Lab is Outstanding
Mr. Cox also presides over the math lab, and this is perhaps the most outstanding room in the school as far as equipment is concerned. On entering the well-lighted room, the first thing that greets the eye is an eight-foot slide rule. This is a demonstration instrument, Mr. Cox explained, big enough that any student in the class may see from any angle. Each desk in this room is equipped with a built-in rectangular and polar coordinate system where a student may copy work on the same example that the teacher is working at the all-steel chalkboards at the front of the room.
View from south back of Weaver includes the lunch room.
A drafting machine occupies a prominent place. This machine can be set at different angles and can be slid up and down or back and forth. This is used in Trigonometry. The rectangle coordinate is used in Algebra I and 2, preliminary and quadratic equations.
Mr. Cox explained that several of his boys were most interested in being draftsmen and that a well-qualified man in this line is always in demand in the business world.
Mrs. Mary Lee Friels teaches English and Home Economics and holds a B.S. from OSU and a life certificate in English and Vocational Economics. She heads the 4-H groups at Weaver, also, and has had many students to bring honors to Weaver.
Science room at southeast corner of the school building
In the Home-Ec department, naturally electricity plays a big part. Electric sewing machines, good lighting, heating, cooling and every electrical appliance to make the work easier, faster and more attractive have been added. There are even electric scissors. Electric stoves are being installed so that young Home-Ec students may learn the timesaving freedoms of electric cooking.
The Lunch Room is in its own cottage. Mr. Friels explained that this had been an old barracks which they purchased, had knocked down and moved from Enid to Weaver. With a little planning and much hard work it has transformed into the present attractive dining room which, by removing the folding tables, an attractive party room is provided. This room is also provided with electric equipment making for clean, healthful food. Mrs. Turrie Blalock heads the lunch room with Mrs. D.B. Wynn as assistant.
The overall picture of Weaver school is a busy, progressive educational plant drawing students from an area of 76 square miles in school district No. 13. Five buses transport the 165 students to Weaver.
The school has new furniture throughout. This is particularly fine in the typewriting classes. Adjustable, steel desks and chairs, electric typewriters, correctly placed lighting fixtures and an overhead projector, makes this room very modern and a room in which it is pleasantly easy to learn to type.
High school students in the English/study hall classroom
 The lighting of the entire school was designed by General Electric and the fixtures are the best made, Mr. Friels said. Suspended ceilings of fiberglass make the acoustics almost perfect
Well Equipped With Visual Aids
The school is well equipped with visual aids which are so important in the present-day modern school system. A Bell and Howell 16 mm projector, an RCA projector, three tape recorders, a film strip machine and a controlled reader are a few of the items used in this department.
Outstanding Faculty Listed
A well trained and qualified faculty besides those already listed are as follows:
William McKee, Science, holds a degree in Science from Midwestern at Wichita Falls, Texas, and had a fellowship at Colorado State last summer at Greely, Colorado. He has been at Weaver for three years;
Mrs. Billy Hunt, Commerce, holds a B.S. from Central State and has been at Weaver for five years;
Mrs. Norma Hutcheson, fifth and sixth grades, holds a B.S. from O.U. and has been at Weaver for eight years;
Mrs. Bill Hubbard, third and fourth grades, holds a B.S. from Southwestern and has been at Weaver for ten years;
Mrs. Irma Latimer, first and second grades, holds a B.S. from Southwestern and has been at Weaver for 14 years.
Mr. McKee is a girls’ coach and Mr. Friels is the boys’ coach. In athletics, they participate in basketball and baseball. In 1958 the Weaver girls went to the state tournament in basketball.
Mrs. Friels, in sponsoring the 4-H, is very proud of some of the records made by her students. Jim Richards, Elwanna and LaVelle Gottschall, and Rita McCormack are among many who have won signal honors for their school in safety, speech, agronomy and beef judging, so that each field seems well represented.
Every well-qualified member of the faculty seems to be on his toes pushing ahead for Weaver. No Siree, Weaver is not one of those country schools that had to shut down to make way for progress… Weaver stepped out ahead and has kept abreast of progress, and today is considered one of the outstanding school systems in southwest Oklahoma.