Monday, November 28, 2011

Central Elementary... Comin' Down

The 1922 Frederick High School (Central Elementary School) building. Photo was taken October 18, 2011.
For historic photos of the 1922 building,  CLICK HERE
School Teardown Begins

     Crews began the process of tearing down the 1922 Frederick High School (later Central Elementary) building on Monday morning, November 28, 2011. The plan is to remove the building's entire west side, including the auditorium, leaving the the old gymnasium (for now).

    The building's location will be site of a new elementary library/media center, four elementary classrooms, a large multipurpose facility that can be used as a gymnasium and auditorium, and a music facility that will be shared by elementary and middle school students.

The following photos are sequential, beginning on November 28, 2011

Removal of the old school building began at the structure's northeast corner  (photo above was taken from the west front at noon on Monday, November 28, 2011)
The tear down started at the 1922 building's northeast corner (photo taken at noon, November 28, 2011)
Northwest corner of the building (5:00 p.m., November 28, 2011)
Cornerstone at northwest corner (5:00 p.m., November 28, 2011). The Tillman County Historical Society has asked the Frederick Schools for the cornerstone as a permanent exhibit at the Pioneer Townsite Museum.
School office area, west front (5:00 p.m., November 28, 2011)
North classroom wing... Gone. (photo taken 12:30 p.m., November 29, 2011)
Most debris from the North Wing had been removed by Thursday, December 1. The building's cornerstone was removed on Thursday morning, December 1, and delivered to the Pioneer Townsite Museum [see next photo]. (photo taken at noon, December 1, 2011,
The Cornerstone was delivered to the Tillman County Historical Society for the Pioneer Townsite Museum. A small copper box time capsule was mortared into the shallow cavity at top of the stone. The capsule will be opened at a Frederick Board of Education meeting on Monday evening, December 5. (Photo taken December 1, 2011)
Holes in the north wall of the auditorium allow for removal of seating and other debris (photo taken at noon, December 1, 2011)
The old auditorium being cleared of seating and other debris (photo taken at noon, December 1, 2011)
School flagpole and base, given by Class of 1923, were removed in one piece (December 1, 2011)
Demolition of the South Wing began on Thursday morning, December 1 (photo taken at noon, December 1, 2011)
Most of the South Wing removed (photo taken December 2, 2011, 12:15 p.m.)
A south-end classroom (photo taken December 2, 2011, 12:15 p.m.)
South Wing rubble (December 2, 2011)

View from the south on 12th Street (December 7, 2011, 7:45 a.m.)
Much of the "modern" facade that covered 1973 tornado damage has been removed from the front of the building. (December 7, 2011, 7:45 a.m.)
Demolition of west front continues (December 7, 2011, 5:15 p.m.)
Front classrooms, 1st and 2nd levels, taken out (December 7, 2011, 5:15 p.m.)

West stairwell (December 7, 2011, 5:15 p.m.)

Class of 1923 plate from flagpole base (December 7, 2011, 5:15 p.m.)

12th Street view from the south (December 8, 2011, 12:30 p.m.)
Demolition continues on a cold, rainy day. (December 13, 2011, 2:10 p.m.)

The back wall of the auditorium has been removed (December 13, 2011, 2:10 p.m.)

A worker in the now-open auditorium removes debris (December 13, 2011, 2:10 p.m.)
View from the south on 12th Street (photo taken December 17, 2011, 2:30 p.m.)

The auditorium is open and the balcony has been removed (photo taken December 17, 2011, 2:30 p.m.)

Auditorium is open (Photo taken December 17, 2011, 2:30 p.m.)

The large attic space above auditorium is exposed (December 17, 2011)

The north side of the building (photo taken December 17, 2011, 2:30 p.m.)

North wall of the auditorium has been removed. Roof line between gym and auditorium has been cut because gym will stay, for now (photo taken December 17, 2011, 2:30 p.m.)
The tear down ceased for a few days during the week of Christmas. Work resumed on December 28 (photo taken December 28, 2011, 1:00 p.m.)

The back and sides of the auditorium have been removed (photo taken December 28, 2011, 1:00 p.m.)

The school's stage area, taken from the north side of the building (December 28, 2011, 1:00 p.m.)

A few of the school's old lockers remain in the area east of the office (December 28, 2011, 1:00 p.m.)

By 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, December 29, the office area has been removed and workers are clearing debris. The overhead part of the auditorium is all that remains.

The auditorium roof was dropped. (Photo taken December 31, 2011, 10:00 a.m.)

The old school gymnasium will remain... for now. (Photo taken December 31, 2011, 10:00 a.m.)

Most of the old school... Gone. (December 31, 2011, 10:00 a.m.)

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Comin' Down...

November 23, 2011

Removal of Central Elementary School

Auxiliary Gym

     The process of tearing down Frederick's Central Elementary School complex to make way for new structures has begun with removal of the auxiliary gym (located north of the main building). The removal process will make way for construction of new school facilities.

     The removal will be done in stages.

Auxiliary Gym (pictured November 23, 2011)
Removal of Auxiliary Gym underway (viewed from the northwest side, November 23, 2011, 1:00 p.m.)

Removal of Auxiliary Gym underway (viewed from the southeast side, November 23, 2011, 1:00 p.m.)

Auxiliary Gym has been removed (viewed from south side, November 23, 2011, 3:20 p.m.)

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Davidson was booming town

Sent to The Frederick Press and The Frederick Leader, November 21, 2011
Davidson School, 1916

1926 Davidson profiled in SWOGS Publication
The Southwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society recently mailed its fall 2011 issue of “Tree Tracers”, the quarterly SWOGS publication, to members of the organization.  As always, “Tree Tracers” contains a number of fascinating articles, reports and genealogical information, including a 1926 item from “The Frederick Leader” titled “Who’s Who in Davidson, Oklahoma.”
In 1926, the area that is Tillman County had been opened to settlement for only 25 years, but Davidson was a booming center of agriculture and business.
The 1926 piece contains a description of Davidson, as follows:
“Davidson, in the southwestern part of Tillman county, is just 13 miles from Frederick and 24 miles from Grandfield.
Simmons Gin in Davidson, 1916
“Davidson was founded in 1901 by Arthur and David McClure, brothers, who opened the first grocery store in town. Don Ross opened the first lumber yard, and T.H. Shive the first hardware store, which was managed by E.M. Napier. Mr. Schofield and Albert North opened the first bank and Mrs. Jack Willis built the first brick hotel about the year 1904.
“The population is 800, and in addition, Davidson is the trading center for an area of approximately 100 miles in diameter, and is in an agricultural section producing cotton and wheat. It has five gins and three grain elevators.
“The Davidson gins ginned 15,000 bales of cotton in 1925. Two Frisco trains daily serve this city. There were 207 carloads of freight shipped out during the past year and 670 carloads shipped into the town. The Frisco railway serves the town and State Highways Nos. 5 and 14 pass through it.
“Davidson has a fully accredited school and employs ten teachers, a new Baptist church recently completed at a cost of $20,000, Methodist church, Church of Christ, Latter Day Saints and Primitive Baptist, none of which has regular pastors.
“The city government consists of a board of trustees of which organization F.L. Hood is chairman, Joe Seay and C.J. Hudson, members; L.L. Wilson, clerk and J.H. McClure, treasurer. The fraternal organizations are limited to the Masons and Eastern Star, but they are active and have good memberships.
“Davidson has five cotton gins, two elevators, three dry goods stores, two hardware stores, one barber shop, style shop, tailor shop, drug store, variety store, bank, post office, Ford agency, privately owned light plant, three filling stations, two blacksmith shops, two cafes, rooming house, hotel, shoe shop, electric shop, bakery, picture show and Frisco depot. Natural gas has recently been installed."
The 1926 article “Who’s Who in Davidson, Oklahoma” went on to list names, credentials and background of 70 prominent Davidson residents.
The Southwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society meets monthly and is an outstanding resource for individuals who are interested in researching their family history.
Individual memberships in the SWOGS are $15 per year, or $18 for family memberships (two names).  Membership dues or inquiries can be sent to P.O. Box 148, Lawton, OK 73502-0148.
“Tree Tracers” is mailed to SWOGS members four times per year.

NOTE: The listing of "Who's Who in Davidson, Oklahoma, 1926" was printed in "Tillman County Chronicles" sent to local newspapers and posted online on September 29, 2011. For purposes of online-consistency, though, that listing has been arranged to follow this one.
The listing of people and information from the 1926 "Who's Who" can be found in the blog posting that follows this post.
-- JW
Threshing crew near Davidson, 1921
_ _ _
      Joe Wynn is a member of the Tilman County Historical Society’s board of directors

Who's Who in Davidson, 1926

Sent to The Frederick Leader and The Frederick Press, November 29, 2011
1926 Outstanding Davidson Citizens Listed
Last week this column referred to “Who’s Who in Davidson, 1926” as printed in The Frederick Leader that year and reprinted in a recent publication of the Southwest Oklahoma Genealogical Society.
The 1926 “Who’s Who” provided information about more than 70 people who were cited, including birth date and location, spouse and marriage date, children, occupation, church and organization, amount of land owned, etc.

Austin, O.J. – Manager Austin-Johnston Dry Goods; born Arkansas, December 24, 1886; educated Victory, Okla.; married Miss Grace Kiethley August 28, 1911; Davidson Community Club; Methodist church; Mason; four children, Louise, Mary Winifred, Warren and O.J., Jr.; in Tillman county 2 years; worked in clothing store at Altus 7 years.
Ballard, J.N. – Deputy sheriff; born Neeleville, Mo., 1883; educated Spring Creek, Ark.; married Miss deArmon 1905; deputy sheriff one term; to Oklahoma 1914; farmed six years; butcher business one year.
Bell, E.V. – Clerk Bell’s Cash Grocery; born Dallas Co., Tex., 1900; educated Oklahoma and Texas; married Miss Edna Rhinehart August 4, 192 [?]; Davidson Community Club; Christian church; one child, Mona Gale; in Tillman county 7 years; with Bell Cash Grocery 3 years.
Bell, C.W. – Manager Bell Cash Grocery; born Texas, 1877; educated Texas; married Miss Ella Parrott 1898; Davidson Community Club; Baptist church; six children, Everet, David, Kenneth, Vera, Opal and Ruth; in Tillman county 6 years.
Bryan, Joe C. – Manager and stockholder Massie-Bryan grocery; born Texas, 1897; educated Snyder high school, one year Oklahoma University; married Miss Gladys Estes July 8, 1922; Davidson Community Club; Methodist church; Mason; I.O.O.F.; two children, Wonda Joe and Sammy Joyce; manager in business 5 years; resident of Oklahoma since 1904; in service during World War; overseas 17 months, stationed old Mexico before going to France.
Burke, J.D. – Farmer; Midway farm; born Virginia, 1861; common school education; married Miss Emma A. Balfauer 1884; Methodist church; Mason; five children, Melvin L. Percy J., Alta G., Donald and Alice Lee; to Oklahoma 1900; owns half section of land.
Burk, G.B. – Manager light and power plant; born Virginia, 1887; educated Virginia and Illinois; married Miss Eula Qualls 1908; Davidson Community Club; Methodist church; Mason; three children, Elma, G.B., Jr.. and Gerald Lee; in Tillman county 11 years; with light and power company 8 years; railroad engineer on Frisco 8 years; garage business 1916 to 192
Burks, Hallie – Bookkeeper Hood Motor Co.; Ford agency; born Davidson, Okla. July 20, 1907; educated Davidson high school; Frederick Junior College; Baptist church; Eastern Star; with Hood Motor Co., since 1924.
Burks, W.B. – Farmer; born Bryson, Texas, June 25, 1881; educated Bryan public school; junior college of Kerrvine; married Miss Pearl Norwood September 20, 1905; county assessor 4 years; member board of education; Latter Day Saints church; Mason; nine children, Hallie, Raymond, Helen, Robert, Bernice, Jack, Willie Mae, W.B., Jr.. and Glynna Sue; in Tillman county since 1901.
Campbell, D.C. – Retired farmer; born Cleburne county, Tennessee, December 20, 1854; married Miss Lovina Pharp March 12, 1876; Universalist; W.O.W.; four children, Rosa Macaroy, Herman, Louise, Nettie (deceased), Coyne; in Tillman county since 1901; mercantile business 18 years.
S.F. Cannon – Manager telephone exchange; born Alabama, 1877; educated Alabama public schools; married Miss Lucille Holcomb January 8, 1920; Davidson Community Club; Baptist church; Mason; one child, Willie; in Tillman county since opening; manager telephone exchange 20 years.
Cassidy, Ed – Owner Free Bridge Filling Station, born White county, Illinois, August 9, 1902; educated Davidsion; to Oklahoma 1907; owns half section of land.
Collins, Harry A. – Member Palace drug store; born Alfalfa County, Okla, 1899; educated Jett high school; school of pharmacy at Oklahoma University; P.H.G. degree; Methodist church; Kappa Psi at Oklahoma University; played basketball winning four letters at Oklahoma University; vice-president of Pharmacy Association Oklahoma Uniiversity for one year.
Crowell, V.S. – Farmer; born Tennessee, 1874; common school education; married Miss Claudie Voorhies 1894; Baptist church; I.O.O.F.; three children, Rohan, Fred and Rayburn; to Tillman county 1917; owns 414 acres of land.
Davis, Earnest – Manager Cozy Café; born Louisiana, 1900; educated Louisiana; Davidson Community Club; Baptist church; in Tillman county six years.
Dickerson, J.A. – Farmer, born Texas, 1863; common school education; married Miss Fannie Dyer 1884; Davidson Community Club; Baptist church; Mason; fourteen children, Della, Willie, Edd, Charlie, Oscar, ou, Allie, gracie, Susie, Florence, Lillian, Velma, Bud and Leo; to Davidson 1906; owns 720 acres of land.
Donahoo, F.M. – Farmer; born Mattison county, Indiana, January 1, 1851; educated Shelbyville public schools; married Miss Maggie Moore 1878; inspector during opening; Methodist church; six children, M.W., T.P., J.W., Hazel, Ivie, Mabel and Goldie; to Oklahoma 1886; made race for claim but failed.
Edwards, Emmett – Manager Testerman Brothers ice house; born northern Oklahoma 1906; educated Mangum, Okla.; DeMolay.
Ferguson, C.D. – Farmer; born Texas, 1878; common school education; married Miss Jennie Hines 1902; Baptist church; three children, Ray, Mary Lucile and C.D.; to Tillman county 1903; owns half section of land.
Fox, Clarence – Manager Dascomb-Daniels Lumber Co.; born Grayson county, Texas, 1882; common school education; married Miss Rosa Dacus 1905; township register since 1917; Davidson Community Club; Baptist church; Mason; W.O.W.; four children, Ruhamah, Rollo G., Oma and Clarence, Jr.; to Davidson in 1902.
Fox, Oma – Clerk Dascomb-Daniels Lumber Co., born Davidson, Okla., November 16, 1908; educated Davidson high school; Baptist church; with lumber company since 1926.
Fox, R.G. – Proprietor Davidson Hotel; born Davidsion, Okla., January 1, 1907; educated Davidson public schools; married Miss Ethel Rogers September 21, 1925; Christian church; DeMolay; one child, Phyllis; in Tillman county 16 years; hotel business since August 1, 1926.
Fox, T.H. – Retired farmer; born Jackson county, Tennessee, November 27, 1857; married Miss Ida Griggs January 26, 1881; Methodist church; three children, Clarence, Joe and George; in Tillman county since opening.
Franklin, J.S. – Farmer; born Henry county, Missour 1860; common school education; married Miss Samanthe Cash 1885; Methodist church; Maosn; W.O.W.; four children, Pearl, Benjamin, Wayne and Rufus; to Tillman county 1905; owns three quarter sections of land.
Gilpatrick, J.D. – Retired farmer; born Overton county, Tennessee, August 2, 1867; educated Gainesboro, Jackson county, Tennessee public schools; married Miss Lizzie Beth Warren November 11, 1888; Church of Christ; two children, J.P. and Mamie Bell; in Tillman county since December 1901.
Gregg, Joe – Clerk Harper’s Grocery; born Bridgeport, Texas, 1901; educated Davidsion, Wichita, Kansas; took mechanical course; married Miss Floy Harper June 29, 1922; one child, Lonnie Lee; started business in 1926.
Hamrick, J.M. – Farmer; born Bell county, Texas, September, 1874; common school education; married Miss Bertie Kirby January 21, 1925; county commissioner of Tillman county; Methodist church; Mason; to Tillman county 1901; working 290 acres of land.
Hangerford (Hungerford), C.E. – Assistant manager Dascomb-Daniels Lumber Co.; born Cleveland county, Oklahoma, November 27, 1895; educated Walters; married Miss Dessie Don Booth March 21, 1920; president Young Business Men’s Club, Walters, 1923; American Legion; Mason; Methodist church; Knight of Pythias; M.W.A.; one child, James Edwin; in Tillman county two years; served in World War; with Badger Lumber Company, Walters, three years.
Harper, A.L. – Owner and manager Harper Cash Grocery; born Adair county, Missouri, 1870; educated McKinney, Texas; married Miss Sue Adkins 1896; Davidsion Community Club; two children, Autrey and Floy; resident of Oklahoma 17 years; farmed 11 years.
Harper, L.L. – Manager Harper and Johnson General Mercantile; born Kentucky, December 1880; educated Ardmore, Okla.; married Miss Maude McElroy 1903; mayor; Baptist church; Mason; four children, Mary (Johnson), Irene, Harold and Elsie Lourene; in business 11 years; city mayor 3 years; to Oklahoma 1895.
Hickerson, J.M. – Farmer; born Missouri, March 9, 1868; common school education; married Miss Mary R. Strean July 21, 1892; Church of Christ; eight children, Robert S., Grace O., W.E. Nora, Edna, Harold, Floyd and Earl; to Tillman county 1901; owns half section of land.
Hood, Fred L. – Owner Hood Motor Company; Ford sales and service; born Sevierville, Tennessee, June 28, 1887; educated Charlie, Texas; public schools, Lawton Business College; married Miss Mary Burnham January 2, 1910; president city board; Presbyterian church; Mason; two children, R.D. and Dorothy; in Tillman county since 1913; in Frederick 9 years in U.S. Civil Service; with Phipps Motor Co., Frederick, four years.
Hood, F.W. – Member Hood Motor company; Ford dealers; born Wichita Falls, Texas; September 25, 1891; educated Texas; married Miss Anna Johnston February 14, 1923; member Chamber of Commerce; American Legion; Presbyterian church; Mason; two children, Bettie Jean and Ila Mae; in Tillman county three years; served in World War; overseas one year.
Hudson, C.G. – Cashier First State Bank; born Yellville, Arkansas, August 14, 1894; educated Yellville high school; Edmond Central State Teachers’ College; married Miss Zula Tyson June 12, 1923; town board; secretary of Chamber of Commerce; American Legion; Methodist church; Mason; one child, Mary Ann; in Tillman county 12 years; taught school two years; in service during World War.
James, J.M. – Farmer; born Erath county, Texas; August 12, 1895; common school education; married Miss Amanda Cosgrove August 1, 1917; Baptist church; two children, Irene and Francis; to Tillman county 1901.
Jameson, J.P. – Farmer; born Searcy, Arkansas, January 1892; common school education; married Miss Pauline Glasco 1921; two children, Nettie Ruth and J.P.; owns farm.
Johnson, J.H. – Retired farmer; born June 6, 1851; educated Polk county, Pennsylvania; married Miss Jane Brookshaw October 10, 1872; Baptist church; Mason; seven children, (two deceased) Y.M., L.C., Myrtle Kennel, Dora Cunningham and Ida Brown; in Arkansas 18 years; to Oklahoma 1889; 20 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren; been confined to bed nine years.
Johnson, Mrs. Ola – Proprietor Cozy Café; born Oklahoma, August 9, 1895; educated Davidson, Okla.; married Roy Johnson May 23, 1913; Baptist church; three children, Opal LaDoyt, Anneta and Doris Maxine; in café business 10 years.
Kadane, Jack – Manager Ritz Theatre; born Sapulpa, Oklahoma, August 7, 1908; educated Wichita Falls, Texas, high school; Presbyterian church; DeMolay; in Davidson since May 22, 1926.
Kemble, W.E. – Salesman Parson Brothers Monument company; born Tarrant county, Texas, 1893; common school education; business college of Bowie, Texas; married Miss Myrtle Johnston January, 1920; Baptist church; to Tillman county 1914; owns 80 acres land in Tillman county.
Martin, A.S. – Manager City Tailor Shop; born Alabama, 1892; educated Marietta, Oklahoma; Davidson Community Club; Methodist church; in Tillman County since 1907; in tailoring business since 1919; served in World War.
McAuley, J.F. – Owner and manager Davidson Hardware company; born West Port, Tennessee, September 12, 1872; educated Holliday, Tennessee, Normal School; married Miss Neely Pritchard August 26, 1897; member Chamber of Commerce; Baptist church; Knights of Pythias; W.O.W.; five children, Buna, Grady, Lovellin, Ben and John F.; in Tillman county 18 years; in Tillman Hardware of Frederick 16 years.
Norwood, J.G. – Owner and manager J.G. Norwood’s Dry Goods Store; born Rockdale, Texas, March 15, 1883; educated high school; married Miss Pearl Franklin June 23, 1910; member town board; president board of education; Methodist church; Mason; two children, Guy and Mary Joyce; in Davidson since August 31, 1903.
Parish, G.W. – Farmer; born Pickett, Tennesee, 1894; common school education; married Miss Alice McMahan December, 1914; Baptist church; two children Granvill and Geraldine; to Oklahoma 1913.
Parker, J.W. – Farmer; born Little Rock, Arkansas, January 29, 1869; educated Glasco Junction, Kentucky, and Walnut Hill, Kentucky; married Miss Dora Skinner June 25, 1899; Cotton Growers’ association; Latter Day Saints church; M.W.A.; three children, Valera, iral and Troy; in Tillman county since 1901; first Sunday school was organized in his father’s house.
Parker, R.J. – Retired farmer; born Hart county, Kentucky, May 17, 1840; educated Hart county, Kentucky; married Miss Mary Etta Owen march 28, 1867; Latter Day Saints church; one child, J.W.; in Tillman county since 1901; Civil War veteran.
Parris, J.B. – Farmer; born Pickett county Tennessee, March 15, 1885; common school education; married Miss Claudie Mae Hussey March 3, 1913; Church of Christ; I.O.O.F.; six children, Shemel, Edgar, Evelyn, Ruth, Sam and Josie Kate; to Tillman county 1907; owns 520 acres of land.
Rains, T.L. – Clerk J.G. Norwood; dry goods; born Missouri, November, 1872; educated Texas; married Miss Hutcherson 1909; Baptist church; Mason; resident of Oklahoma since 1907.
Reed, H.C. – Bookkeeper First State Bank; born Foss, Oklahoma, February 14, 1902; educated Davidson high school; Tyler Commercial College; married Miss Jasamine Finney July 4, 1923; Chamber of Commerce; Methodist church; one child, Anna Gale; in Tillman county since 1903; with bank six years.
Renfroe, Rev. B.F. – Preacher; born Montgomery, Alabama, November 25, 1860; educated Grimes county, Texas, public schools; married Miss M.A. Skinner January 18, 1883; Latter Day Saints church; M.W.A.; W.O.W.; seven children, Sally, Mattie, Clester, Amos, Cenis, Ibera and Roy; to Oklahoma 1901; organized first Sunday school in Davidson, preached first funeral sermon and performed first wedding ceremony; preached in dugouts in early days.
Robinson, J.E. – Manager Davidson Gin company; born Missouri, 1874; educated Texas public schools; married Miss Marion Tussy 1895; school trustee; Davidson Community Club; Methodist church; Knights of Pythias; three children Marie, David and Christine; in Tillman since 1920; with gin company two years.
Seay, Ray – Assistant pharmacist Palace Drug Store; born in Davidson, Oklahoma, March 14, 1905; educated Davidson high school, one year Oklahoma University; Methodist church; DeMolay.
Sparks, W.S. – Farmer; born Cherokee, Alabama, March 14, 1861; educated Cherokee county; married Miss Octavia Florence Sharp June 3, 1882; Baptist church; Mason 30 years; seven children, Nettie Waldrop, R.B., Myrtle Willingham, Alma West, Frank, Fred and Tommie; to Tillman county 1923.
Spraggins, J.H. – Farmer, born Dadeville, Alabama, February 14, 1867; educated Collins county, Texas; married Miss Etta Sterling April 17, 1891; Baptist church; W.O.W.; M.W.A.; ten children, Edna, Clyde, Gladys, Guy, Mrs. Claudia Coats, Timmie, Floyd, Fern, Don and Carlos; in Tillman county since 1902.
Stafford, E.B. – Yardman Dascomb-Daniels Lumber Company; born Abington, Illinois July 18, 1867; educated Lamont, Iowa, public schools; married Miss Louisa S. Gaultei June 14, 1896; Latter Day Saints church; five children, Ada Louise, Harriet Prudrick, Edna Mae, Helen Francis and Emily June; in Tillman county 19 years; with lumber business two years.
Stafford, Helen – Clerk Uncle Joe’s Variety Store; born Vernon, Texas, May 17, 1905; educated Davidson high school; Latter Day Saints church; member honor society; won county championship in basketball for five years; in Tillman County 18 years.
Tate, W.L. – Agent Frisco railway; born North Carolina, September 2, 1882; educated North Carolina; married Miss Maude Harris November 18, 1918; one child, Katherine; in Tillman county seven years; with Frisco eight years.
Taylor, J.C. – Member Hope & Taylor Gin; born Evening Shade, Arkansas, February 15, 1897; educated Evening Shade high school; married Miss Ruby Hodges December 24, 1925; American Legion; Methodist church; in Tillman County two months; served in World War; ten trips across transporting service.
Thomas, R.H. – Member Bell and Thomas Market and Grocery; born Cass county, Illinois, August 17, 1880; educated Lincoln county, Kansas; married Miss Laura Phipps December 24, 1902; school director 1907 to 1912; Methodist church; M.W.A.; five children, Lloyd, Cecil, Myrtle, Cora and Beula; to Tillman county 1902.
Thorn, W.H. – Owner W.H. Thorn Grocery; born Franklin Parish, Louisianna, October 20, 1887; educated Franklin, Louisiana; married Miss Lillie Melton December 15, 1912; constable four years, undersheriff eight years in Louisiana; Chamber of Commerce; Baptist church; 32nd degree Mason; two children, Marshall and Leah; in Tillman county nine years.
Tyson, J.C. – Owner Uncle Joe’s Variety Store; born Harrison, Arkansas, January 19, 1898; educated Davidson high school; married Miss Meta E. McClure March 6, 1919; 32nd degree Mason; one child, Joe Dean; in Tillman county 17 years; drug business four years.
White, N.J. – Farmer; born Montague county, Texas, October 1, 1889; common school education; married Miss Charlie Dugan January 21, 1912; Church of Christ; four children, Alvis, Raymond, Joe Dwight and N.J., Jr.; to Tillman county 1901; working 240 acres of land.
White, T.N. – Farmer, born Randolph county, Alabama, December 2, 1857; educated Montague county, Texas; married Miss Ada Woods March 7, 1886; Methodist church; W.O.W.; seven children, Willie, Bessie, Fred, N.J., Jessie Lee and Iona; in Tillman county since opening.
Wilson, Lloyd – Assistant Cashier First State Bank; born Alief, Texas, July 15, 1898; educated Davidson high school; married Miss Billie Howerton, Marh 19, 1919. Chamber of Commerce; Methodist church; Mason; in Tillman county 22 years; Ford agency from 1917 to 1921.
Wilson, Dr. R.E. – Physician and surgeon; born Arkansas, 1870; educated Southern Methodist University, graduated 1904; M.D. degree; married Miss Nora McLeroy 1920; one child, Lloyd; to Tillman county 1904; to Oklahoma 1889.
Wisda, J.A. – Mail carrier; born Defiance county, Ohio, August 9, 1877; college education; married Miss Geneva McPherson November 17, 1908; Catholic church; to Tillman county 1901; in Frederick 12 years; carrying mail since 1907.
Wolfe, J.A. – Farmer; born North Carolina, March, 1876; common school education; married Miss Minnie Robertson April 19, 1900; Presbyterian church; three children, Forrest, Lee and Mark; to Tillman county 1902; wheat raiser; owns 500 acres of land.
Wolfe, J.B. – Farmer; born North Carolina, October 14, 1874; common school education; married Miss Fannie Cavins 1900; Baptist church; six children, Harold, Beatrice, Zeta Mae, Zelma Lou, Hazel and Paul; to Tillman county 1906; owns 160 acres of land; cultivating 240 acres.
Wolfe, Kenneth – Student; born Davidson, Oklahoma 1906; educated Davidson high school; Baylor University, Waco, Texas; Oklahoma University; Baptist church; DeMolay; with Austin-Johnston five months.
Wright, W.E. – Farmer; born Tennessee, 1876; common school education; married Miss Lou Hutton 1899; Methodist church; eleven children, Lula Pearl, Alice, Harve, Edith, J.B. Buster, Fay, Lucile, Vennel and Merle; to Davidson 1901; owns section of land.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Picking Cotton

Sent to The Frederick Leader and The Frederick Press, November 15, 2011
This heavily damaged photo shows pioneer cotton pickers, date and location unknown.

Cotton Harvest important in County History
Cotton at Pioneer Townsite

From the earliest days of Tillman County’s settlement in 1901, cotton was king. The area’s moderate weather and rich soil made it an ideal location for growing cotton.
In the years following settlement cotton gins were built throughout the county. Most towns had more than one cotton gin and gins were also built in rural communities throughout the county.
Why so many gins?
Frederick gin yard, 1908
The processing capacity of most gins was limited, and in the early years hauling the cotton to the gin was not always an easy task. The closer the gin was to the field, the better.
From the earliest days, the cotton harvest in the late fall into early winter provided an economic boom for stores and other businesses.
Long cotton sacks for pulling cotton could be purchased in many stores, and most schools dismissed for at least a week in the fall so that students and families could “pull bolls”.
Foster-Harris Gin was located on N. 9th Street, Frederick

Pulling cotton was difficult backbreaking work.
Until mechanical cotton strippers became common in the late 1950s or early ‘60s, the cotton harvest involved pulling the cotton by hand.
A Frederick Press story from October 15, 1953, cited one Frederick resident, Mrs. Bonnie Pennycuff, for setting a cotton pulling record.


“Mrs. Bonnie Pennycuff, 34, mother of five children, has gained herself a new name in the Tillman county cotton fields. She is known as the ‘Human Cotton Stripper’ after pulling 1,117 pounds of cotton in one day, from 8:45 a.m. to 6:15 p.m.

“Mrs. Pennycuff of South 12th street in Frederick , and daughter of Mrs. Bessie Landrum, has been picking all season and has averaged from eight to nine hundred pounds a day, but she set a new record Thursday when she passed the 1100 mark. She has been working on the Oga Woodmore farm, northeast of town.”

The article is featured on a laminated full page copy of The Frederick Press that is currently on display at the Pioneer Townsite Museum. The paper was given to the Tillman County Historical Society by John David Pennycuff.
In the same issue of The Frederick Press was an indication that mechanical harvesting of the cotton crop was a trend that would soon overtake the traditional manual harvest.
A page one story announced a “Cotton Field Day” in which farmers could observe the best practices for raising cotton. The event, to be held October 20, 1953, at the H.E. McElroy farm northeast of Tipton, featured analysis of fertilizer types and other cotton growth practices. It also included demonstrations of three modern mechanical cotton strippers.
From Laing School, the McElroy farm was located five miles north and one-half mile east. The farm had been site of a plowing field day the previous July.
Within the coming decade, mechanical cotton stripping would become the norm. While the mechanical cotton strippers still involved a great deal of work, they allowed the harvest to be conducted in a cheaper, quicker, less labor-intensive process for farmers.
The mechanical cotton stripper brought the days of hand pulling cotton to a close.
Williams and Miller Gin in Frederick, 1916
Simmons Gin in Frederick, 1920
Joe Wynn is a member of the Tillman County Historical Society’s board of directors.