Sunday, February 27, 2011

County School Districts


Column sent to Frederick Leader and Frederick Press
August 31, 2010
Tillman County School Districts, 1930

Early Tillman County Schools (Part I)
In the earliest decades to Tillman County, schools marked more than 100 distinct communities. Over the years, the small schools eventually closed, consolidating with or sending students to other nearby schools.
Last week in this column, a 1930 map showed the schools that existed at that time. By 1930, many of the original school districts had already merged into larger consolidated districts such as Laing, Weaver, Wilson, Victory, Hollister or Loveland.
What follows in this week’s and next week’s column is a listing of all county school districts from the county’s earliest days.
In addition to the school name and district number, general directions are given to the school location, the approximate date of the school’s closing, and the school to which the original school was consolidated or to which students were sent.

Alpian 153 (6 miles south of Tipton), to Weaver Cons. #13, 1949.
Bethel 141 (4 east, 1 south of Manitou), to Manitou School, 1940.
Belmont 65 (4 east, 1 and half north of Manitou), to Manitou School
Blue 86 (4 north, 1 west of Tipton), to Tipton Cons. #8, 1940.
Blue 171 (3 east, half south of Davidson), to Davidson Cons. #9, 1909.
Blue Valley 259 (3 east, 3 south of Grandfield), to Devol School, 1913.
Brush Creek 226 (5 north, 2 and half east of Grandfield), to Grandfield School, 1941.
Burnett 149 (3 west of Tipton), to Tipton Cons. #8, 1919.
Cameron 233 (4 south, 2 east of Hollister), to Hollister Cons. #10, 1913.
Carter 168 (2 north, 4 west of Davidson), to Wilson Cons. #2 1914.
Center Point 248 (3 east of Grandfield), to Grandfield School, 1947.
Centerview 178 (northeast of Tipton), to Laing Cons. #1, 1912.
Chadwick 187 (1 west, 1 and half north of Tipton), to Tipton Cons. #8, 1923.
Chateau 232 (11 east of Davidson), to Victory Cons. #11, 1926.
Circle Valley 151 (3 south of Tipton), to Tipton Cons. #8, 1923.
Dawson 212 (northwest of Hollister), to Hollister Cons. #10, 1921.
East Aurora 144. Changed name to Manitou in 1907. Operated high school until 1964, and grade school until 1977.
East Jack Creek 134 (2 west, 1 and half north of Chattanooga). Operated until 1942.
Edendale 230 (2 east, 1 and half south of Hollister), to Hollister Cons. #10, 1925.
Ernest 76 (3 north, 4 and half east of Tipton), to Laing Cons. #1, 1912.
Fairview 142 (4 north 5 east of Frederick), to Manitou School and Frederick School, 1942.
Farmingdale 231 (3 south, 1 west of Hollister), to Hollister Cons. #10, 1921.
Fort Augur 256 (6 west, 4 south of Grandfield), to Grandfield School, 1959.
Glendale 64 (7 and half east, 1 and fourth west of Manitou), to Manitou School, 1937.
Glenwood 155 (2 north of Frederick), to Frederick School, 1938.
Goehler 258 (3 south of Grandfield), to Grandfield School, 1917.
Good Hope 164 (4 south, 3 east of Frederick), to Sunrise Cons. #6, 1916.
Hackberry Flat 165 (6 east, 2 north of Davidson), to Sanford School in 1923, and later to Victory Cons. #11.
Harmony 214 (4 east, 1 and half north of Hollister), to Isadore School in 1915 and later to Hollister Cons. #10 or Loveland, Cons. #5.
Haskell 210 (10 east, 1 north of Frederick), to Hollister, Cons. #10.
Henderson Cons. #3 (five miles south of Frederick). To Frederick School and Davidson School, 1943.
Hiawatha 133 (5 north, 2 west of Chattanooga), to Chattanooga School, 1948.
Hill Top 71 (4 north, 1 east of Manitou), to Manitou School and Snyder School, 1942.
Holton 139 (7 east, 1 and half south of Manitou), to Manitou School, 1943.
Horse Creek 63 (4 north, 7 east of Manitou), to Snyder School, 1947.  NOTE: Building was moved to Frederick in 1977 and is located at the Pioneer Townsite.
Howard 236 (2 and half north of Grandfield) to Grandfield School, 1917.
Hurford 169 (4 west, 1 south of Davidson), to Davidson Cons. #9 and Wilson Cons. #2, 1920.
Hurst 161 (2 south, 8 west of Frederick), to Wilson Cons. #2, 1914.
Isadore 213 (11 east, 1 and half south of Frederick), to Hollister Cons. #10, 1928.
IXL 154 (3 west, 1 north of Frederick), to Weaver Cons. #13, 1950.
Laing Cons. #1 (closed in 1958).
Leggett 208 (4 west, 1 and half south of Chattanooga), to Chattanooga School and Loveland Cons. #5, 1938.
Liberty School, 1911
Liberty 91 (to Laing Cons. #1, 1914)
Lone Star 209 (13 east, half north of Frederick), to Hollister Cons. #10, Loveland Cons. #5 and Chattanooga School, 1944.
Maple Dale 137 (10 east, 1 south of Manitou), to Manitou School, Chattanooga School and Indiahoma School, 1944
Mayflower 252 (8 west, ¼ south of Grandfield), to Victory Cons. #11, 1947
Mounts 211 (6 east of Frederick), to Hollister Cons. #10, 1921
North Deep Red 94 (northeast of Manitou), closed in 1945
Otter Creek 73 (4 south, 3 west of Snyder), to Snyder School and Laing Cons. #1, 1947
Parks 234 (1 west, 2 south of Loveland), to Loveland Cons. #5, 1915.
Pearson 167 (3 north of Davidson), to Wilson Cons. #2, 1914.
Pitzer Dale 235 (2 east, 1 and ¾ south of Loveland), to Loveland Cons. #5, 1918.

Column sent to Frederick Leader and Frederick Press
September 14, 2010
Maple Dale School, 1907
Early Tillman County Schools (Part II)
In recent weeks this column has explored early Tillman County schools.
In the earliest days of settlement, there were more than 100 schools in the county, located approximately 3 miles apart. The small schools were a center of social life in those early communities. In addition to classroom instruction, the schoolhouses hosted church services, social gatherings, and according to early newspapers, school grounds were even the sites of some early funerals and burials.
Today, there is often nothing left to mark the spot where those early schools stood.
Eventually, school districts began to consolidate or merge, creating fewer, larger schools. And, over the years, even most of those larger, consolidated schools have faded away, leaving only four county schools today – Frederick, Davidson, Tipton and Grandfield.
In a previous column, many of the early schools were listed, along with general locations and information about when the school closed. That list continues in this column.
Please note that this list of early schools is likely not complete, and the location listed is approximate.

Early Schools
Plainview 145 (5 north of Frederick), to Frederick and Manitou, early 1940s.
Pleasant Ridge 144 (4 north, 2 and half east of Frederick), to Manitou and Frederick, 1938.
Pleasant Ridge School students and teacher
Pleasant Valley 92 (2 south, 8 west of Snyder), to Snyder, 1949.
Pleasant Valley 138 (12 east, 3 and half north of Frederick), to Hollister and Manitou, 1943.
Pleasant Valley 148 (located near Tipton), to Tipton, 1909.
Pleasant Valley 255 (8 west, 3 and half south of Grandfield), to Victory Cons. 11, 1947.
Polk 229 (half north, half west of Loveland), to Loveland Cons. 5, 1914.
Prairie Dale 228 (2 east, 1 north of Loveland), to Loveland Cons. 5, 1914.
Prairie Dale 250 (2 and fourth west of Grandfield), became part of Union Graded 1, 1917.
Red Bluff 166 (7 south of Frederick), became part of Henderson Cons. 3, 1915.
Rich Valley 227 (6 north of Grandfield), to Grandfield, Chattanooga and Loveland, 1949.
Rita 253 (11 west, 2 south of Grandfield), annexed to Victory Cons. 11, 1929.
Riverside 120 (8 and half west, 2 south of Frederick) along North Fork, became part of Weaver Cons. 13, 1930.
Rose Hill 156 (3 east, 1 north of Frederick), to Frederick, 1944.
Sage 260 (5 south, 2 west of Grandfield), to Grandfield, 1959.
Sanford 172 (7 east, 1 south of Davidson), became part of Victory Cons. 11, 1923.
Siboney 72 (2 north of Manitou), to Manitou in 1930s.
Sims 237 (3 east, 3 north of Grandfield), to Grandfield, 1945.
South Deep Red 140 (4 north, 8 and half east of Frederick), closed in 1943.
Spring Valley 257 (2 west, 3 south of Grandfield), to Grandfield, 1947.
Sunny Slope 251 (5 west of Grandfield), became part of Union Graded 1, 1917.
Sunrise Cons. #6 (3 east, 3 and half south of Frederick), to Frederick, Hollister, and Victory, 1949.
Sunset View 207 (18 east, 1 south of Frederick), to Chattanooga, 1938.
Sunshine School 147 (near Tipton), consolidated with Tipton, 1919
Tesca 152 (10 west, 1 north of Frederick), became part of Weaver Cons. 13, 1930.
Thacker 4 (2 west of Manitou), to Manitou and Tipton, 1944.
Union 146 (northwest of Frederick), to Frederick, Tipton, Manitou and Weaver, 1947.
Union Graded I (3 and half west of Grandfield), to Grandfield, 1947.
Union Home 135 (5 west, 4 and half north of Chattanooga), to Chattanooga and Indiahoma, 1942.
Valley Home 160 (5 west, 2 south of Frederick), became part of Weaver Cons. 13, 1930.
Valley View School
Valley View 215 (4 north, 1 east of Loveland), to Loveland, 1922.
Victory Cons. 11 (east of Davidson). Formed through consolidation, 1923. Closed in 1968.
Warren 157 (2 south, 3 east of Frederick), became part of Sunrise Cons. 6, 1915.
Weaver Cons. 13 (6 west, 1 south of Frederick). Formed from consolidation, 1930. High school closed in 1968, and elementary closed in 1990, to Frederick, Tipton and Davidson.
West Jack Creek 136 (northwest of Chattanooga), to Chattanooga in the 1930s.
West Liberty 159 (2 south, 3 west of Frederick), became part of Weaver Cons. 13, 1930.
White Lake 150 (southwest of Tipton), to Tipton, 1921.
Wilson Cons. 2 (6 west, 6 and half south of Frederick), formed from consolidation in 1913. Closed in 1954. Students to Weaver and Davidson.
NOTE: More detailed information about each of the schools, along with stories and photos, can be found in the Tillman County History, Vol. II. (1978).
Joe Wynn is a member of the Tillman County Historical Society Board of Directors. He can be contacted by e-mail at jawynn@cableone.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment