Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Scenes from the past

Sent to The Frederick Press and The Frederick Leader, December 27, 2011

The Streets of Frederick

This photo, dated 1912, shows downtown Frederick from the 200 block of West Grand Avenue, taken from a second-story window. Below is a current ground-level photo of the same location (December 29, 2011)
– – – – –

Printed on front of this old postcard is “Auto Club, Frederick, Okla. 1915”. The scene is the 100 block of West Grand, in front of what is now the former Hughes Jewelry Store. The Bank of Commerce building was later called the Dillingham Building. Below, a current photograph shows the location of the 1915 photo (December 29, 2011).

Photo taken at 400 North Eleventh Street circa 1910 or earlier, shows development of the residential areas. Sidewalks and a fire hydrant were in place, but streets were unpaved. The house at 400 North Eleventh (left) no longer exists today, but some of the neighboring houses do. Below is a current photograph taken at the same location (December 29, 2011)
 – – – – –

This view of North 11th Street, taken from Grand Avenue, was used as a postcard in 1911. The First Baptist Church is on the right. One block further north, on the right, is the First Presbyterian Church. Below is a current photo taken at the same location (December 29, 2011)

– – – – –

Postcard photo, dated 1928, pictures a thriving Frederick downtown area. Picture is taken from middle of the street, looking eastward, from the 300 block of West Grand (west of the Frederick Leader building). Below, a current photo shows the same location (December 29, 2011)


No comments:

Post a Comment