Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Photos from TCHS files

Sent to The Frederick Leader and The Frederick Press, June 21, 2011


Pictures capture early-day scenes
     The following early-day photos from files of the Tillman County Historical Society capture places, people and events from the area's past.
1903 Children's Band

This fascinating scene, likely Frederick, is dated 1903. It shows a children's band, outfitted in hats and carrying musical instruments. The group includes a goat pulling a wagon. Three females on a horse are behind the band. It is difficult to identify the location. The painted sign on wall of the brick building at right reads, "Greever & Thomas, Clothing & Dry Goods, Shoes, Hats, Caps" A wooden building across the street reads "PRINCE". The part of Oklahoma Territory that included the area that would become Tillman County was opened to settlement in August 1901, with towns and communities springing up in the years that followed. This photo, taken in 1903, was only two years after settlement.
 Tillman County Historical Society photo
Early Baptism

Early church baptisms were commonly done in creeks or ponds. This early baptism photo is undated, with no location or church named.

 Tillman County Historical Society photo

First Frederick Methodist Church
The first permanent building of the Frederick Methodist Church is pictured here. Back of the photo identifies its location as South 10th and Dahlia. It stood for only a few years before the congregation replaced it in 1910 with a new church building that was constructed at 12th and Grand.

 Tillman County Historical Society photo

Panorama Photo, 1910

Frederick in 1910 is pictured in a panorama photo that was taken from atop Frederick High School, a building that was located at the East Grand location where Frederick Middle School now stands. The photo looks to the west-northwest, and numerous current homes and businesses are recognizable. At lower right, a groundbreaking is being held for a new Methodist Church (built in 1910 at the 12th and Grand location where the current First United Methodist Church stands). The large building one block west is the First Baptist Church, a beautiful building that would be destroyed by fire in 1931. An early lumber yard was located at site of today's Frederick Carnegie Library. A livery stable stood at the location of today's Frederick Cleaners.

 Tillman County Historical Society photo
Joe Wynn is a member of the Tillman County Historical Society's board of directors. He can be contacted by email at jawynn@cableone.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment